Friday, November 13, 2009

Fabulous, Fantastic, and Frugal Friday - Gift No. 2 - Embellished Hurricane Vases

This Friday's gift starts as a very simple find. Almost any vase will work. I used a glass hurricane for this one. I spot tons of glass vases and hurricanes at yard sales and thrift stores all the time. I don't think I've ever ran across one reselling for more than $1. I've seen these at the Dollar Tree, too.

The next step is to find something to add to the glass vase. I used clay. I rolled out the clay using a dowel and slats. That made my clay the same thickness. Then, I cut out a shape and pressed a rubber stamp into it to emboss it. You can use a cookie cutter to cut a shape out of clay, too. I put it on the vase while it dried - so that it would hug the vase. After it dried, I painted it with a shiny silver oil based paint.


You could use an ornament, wood letter, rhinestones, or just about anything. The item you add doesn't have to hug the vase. As long as you use a really strong glue it should be fine. I use E6000 when I want something to stay in place. It holds wonderfully. I don't get any money from them. I just like the glue. It took me a while before I found one I really liked but this is it. I'm never without a tube. lol.
Just be careful because this glue isn't recommended with heat. I use it but not at high temperatures.

After the glue dries, you may want to fill the vase up with some type of candy, pencils, or etc. Here's how mine turned out.


I used candy canes but how cute would this be as a pencil can for a desk or a soap holder in the bathroom? This is a very simple addition but I think it makes a world of difference.

Happy Gift Giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails